SporeBase Forum
February 22, 2018, 11:08:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: NOTICE: Outlook email addresses have been universally banned due to an endless wave of bots using this email provider. If you made an account using Outlook and got swept up by the wildcard ban, feel free to rejoin using a more common email provider such as Gmail, etc.

Home   Help Arcade Search Shop Articles Links Gallery Login Register Wiki  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 10th Anniversary Remake Thread  (Read 45 times)
Amber
MISUSE OF AA PRIVILEGES HERE
Administrative Assistant
Strategic Assistant
1519.50 Spice

View Inventory
Send Money to Amber

Mountain Dew is my life's blood

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2018, 09:18:32 PM »

No but seriously, can you believe 2018 marks the 10th anniversary of Spore, and subsequently the 10th year that I've been making crap in this game?

I want to do something commemorative this year, so I plan on remaking subjects that I spent tremendous amounts of time on trying to recreate with...dubious success.

The first order of business was the biggest waste of my time in total, Kartikeya.

First iteration, 2008

Second iteration, 2009*

*This is a from-scratch reproduction of the 2009 Kartikeya, because the original cannot be loaded back into my game. It's almost 100% identical to the original however.

Third iteration, 2011

Fourth iteration, 2013

And now the fifth iteration, 2018

The new build relies massively on the amazing Drone Parts mod. This part mod is what helped to break the 5 year stalemate, because without a new angle to tackle coloring/etc from I didn't have too many options for improving upon the 2013 build. That being said, there's still obvious skill level improvement as well, with the new build having massively improved anatomy and proportions.

I wanted to have the silver decals on the left arm and would have had enough memory left over the add them before crashing would set in, but White Block Syndrome saw to it that I had to omit them anyway *sigh* on the bright side, all that efficiency let me add more symmetrical detail than I could on previous builds. This is the only one which has the bolts on the back of his head. I may see if I can get away with heavily simplifying the rings on his collar/etc as well, but I doubt that will work.

One funny thing about this creation is, aside from being fine in terms of loading and saving with a PNG, it's otherwise the only unstable creation I've made recently, in that it randomly causes my game to crash when loading its paint job, or saving it. Thanks to this, I lost a total of 4 hours of work on its initial build.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 11:06:53 PM by Amber » Logged

Communist
Marine Recruit
216.60 Spice

View Inventory
Send Money to Communist

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 04:56:08 PM »

You're easily the best creature creator of all time. its neat to see you're still doing it, do you do 3d modeling otherwise? I know you made a skeleton thing, but I kinda question why you choose spore as your medium. You could easily make a career out of that skill if you did more with some other tools. (If you don't, of course, I wouldn't know.)

It's really cool to see this progress... thing. I appreciate that you've kept it up.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 07:21:15 PM by Communist » Logged
Amber
Administrative Assistant
Strategic Assistant
1519.50 Spice

View Inventory
Send Money to Amber

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 09:54:12 PM »

You're easily the best creature creator of all time. its neat to see you're still doing it, do you do 3d modeling otherwise? I know you made a skeleton thing, but I kinda question why you choose spore as your medium. You could easily make a career out of that skill if you did more with some other tools. (If you don't, of course, I wouldn't know.)

It's really cool to see this progress... thing. I appreciate that you've kept it up.
See that's the really strange thing. I have Sculptris but I'm just not as good at that, and I actually prefer Spore as a medium because of the challenge factor - that I have to fight uphill against a limited, buggy editor and be as efficient as possible and construct things with armatures, and try to come up with ways to get colors to match as closely as possible. I know it seems odd since Spore is something I can't profit off of, but it's pretty specifically my passion, haha.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 10:24:13 PM by Amber » Logged

Communist
Marine Recruit
216.60 Spice

View Inventory
Send Money to Communist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 10:35:22 PM »

See that's the really strange thing. I have Sculptris but I'm just not as good at that, and I actually prefer Spore as a medium because of the challenge factor - that I have to fight uphill against a limited, buggy editor and be as efficient as possible and construct things with armatures, and try to come up with ways to get colors to match as closely as possible. I know it seems odd since Spore is something I can't profit off of, but it's pretty specifically my passion, haha.
Well thats a great reason to do it.
Amber
Administrative Assistant
Strategic Assistant
1519.50 Spice

View Inventory
Send Money to Amber

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 11:08:17 PM »

Remake number 2 (these will be in no particular chronological order) is Rob Swire.

The remake benefited a lot from the new DarkInjection. It adds Darkspore-textured Knurl Downs which were instrumental to the construction of the lower half of his face because they create the illusion of stubble, something I could not pull off before. It's also the first time I used panel lining on a creation built mostly in a realistic style. The panel lining was necessary for the nose and mouth to be clearly visible. otherwise the mouth is too hard to see and the nose almost disappears from a head-on view.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4boo1Py_W90" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4boo1Py_W90</a>

PS: Kartikeya has received an update since I first posted this thread. The feet and hands have been replaced with the Darkspore textured ones, and I used the color picker mod to get a more game-accurate color scheme.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 11:19:03 PM by Amber » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Today's Birthdays
Ernestino44 (45), valyreib (40), n3ilwryt (37), pumpcanada8 (40), francislamb11 (40), AudiRS3maniac (32), teeth14david (40), Nato (22), Wolfy D (26), foofiegoo444 (38)